Soudabeh Ashrafi's Blog وبلاگ سودابه اشرفی

۶/۲۵/۱۳۸۸

We are old now, oh... about 85. I sit next to him at the dinner table and thank him and his wife for inviting me.
"Thank you, Jo!" I said.
"What for?"
"For inviting me to dinner."
"Oh, no big deal." He says. I put my hands on theirs both. Beth smiles. She doesn't mind my being around anymore. They've been married for a long time now- one year after Jo and I got divorced. Jo pushes his coffee aside and asks my name. His cup shakes.
"Helen, Jo! I'm Helen. You guys invited me to have dinner with you tonight."
He glances at me. His eyes empty.
"I don't remember you." His head trembled when he said that. Just like his coffee cup did.

"That's OK Jo. It's OK, really. We all forget sometimes. We had a good time tonight. Didn't we?"
He stared at me this time-- for maybe good two minutes.
It was late. Beth called a cab for me. I got my coat. His lips were moving. He couldn't get out of his chair. Then I heard his voice as I was standing by the door.
"You know, I don't remember her." He just said it in the air.
His face was pale. He stopped. Then looked toward me.
"But I think I was in love with you once!"